1 a zealously energetic person (especially a salesman) [syn: goffer]
2 any of various terrestrial burrowing rodents of Old and New Worlds; often destroy crops [syn: ground squirrel, spermophile]
3 burrowing rodent of the family Geomyidae having large external cheek pouches; of Central America and southwestern North America [syn: pocket gopher, pouched rat]
4 burrowing edible land tortoise of southeastern North America [syn: gopher tortoise, gopher turtle, Gopherus polypemus]
- Rhymes: -əʊfə(r)
a small burrowing furry rodent
an Internet protocol for document search/retrieval
- Finnish: gopher-protokolla
Gopher may refer to:
- Media characters
- Gopher, a character in the Disney version of Winnie the Pooh.
- Character played in Wonderland by Michael Pitt
- The Gopher, character in Disney's The Lion King
- Gophers!, a 1990 UK puppet sit-com starring the voice of Lou Hirsch
- Gordon the Gopher, a puppet gopher appearing on children's TV in the UK.
- The ship's purser on The Love Boat
- A character in the movie, Caddyshack
- Goldy Gopher the mascot of the University of Minnesota
- Minnesota, the "Gopher State."
- Gopher protocol, for the distributed hypertext protocol. Named in honor of, and developed at, the University of Minnesota.
- Gopher wood, of unclear meaning, is mentioned in the Bible as the building material for Noah's ark.
- A "gopher ball" is one of many nicknames for a home run in baseball.
- A Gofer ("go-fer " [go-for, to fetch]), or errand-runner
gopher in Italian: Gopher
gopher in Russian: Gopher
gopher in Thai: โกเฟอร์